Internal Job Grade : B1
Contract type : Two year contract
Reporting to : OI Regional Director
Staff reporting to this post : Business Development Advisor and Programme Quality Advisor
Location : This role is expected to be based in Tunis, Tunisia
Annual Budget : No direct budget responsibility.
Annual Salary and Benefits – Competitive package
Job Purpose : Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty in MENA.
Oxfam is undergoing a significant transformation worldwide to reflect and adapt to our fast changing world. We need creative and agile leaders who can enable us achieve our strategic vision and at the same time enable us to develop and deliver programmes whilst we embrace the change.
In MENA, Oxfam works in development, humanitarian, and campaigning, with a large part of the current transformation focused on becoming a major influencing & advocacy, knowledge-for-impact global reach organisation.
This role is part of a regional structure (platform) delivering support to and contributing to enhancing program design and implementation in the 11 countries where it is currently present, through both its Amman and Tunis country offices. Oxfam is looking for two Regional Managers to be based in either of these geographic locations. The candidates’ eligibility to work in one or the other may determine the final location of these positions. One Regional Manager will act as the deputy Regional Director for MENA (called ‘Regional Manager), whilst the Regional Manager/Programmes’ primary function will be to lead and drive programming in the region.
To contribute to defining the MENA regional strategy, operational model to deliver it, effective management of country offices and regional programmes ensuring continued improvement in quality and impact of programmes, and effective financial and human resource management in line with Oxfam Policy.
- Lead the work on developing long term vision and strategic planning and operationalisation to achieve significant impact on programming in the region.
- Problem solves within agreed parameters requiring considerable information which may be complex
- Provides both strategic and operational advice to the Regional Director, country directors, and influences decisions that can affect OI, Oxfam Confederation and Donors
- Work in a team-like approach and culture both with the overall regional team and country teams
- Contributes to the creation of a high performance global and regional organisation
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
As delegated by, and in support of, the Regional Director:
- Provide strong leadership on the quality of programme design, planning and implementation, ensuring programmes at country and regional level demonstrate impact and are based on rigorous context analysis, and that impact is measured, monitored, communicated and reinvested in corporate learning across the organisation at country, regional and global levels
- Contribute to proper planning, budget management, resource mobilisation and delivery of excellent programming in designated countries and regional programmes
- Ensure that countries design, apply and operationalise the ‘One Programme’ approach in tackling poverty and inequality so that development, campaigning and humanitarian work are strategically aligned and appropriately balanced to maximise impact and influence
- Ensure adequate and appropriate coordination between affiliates and support a PA / EA model in areas of delegated responsibility
- Provide strong leadership, performance management and development of staff reporting to the post holder, act as a sounding board for direct reports on complex management issues.
- Lead on external stakeholder relationships that includes UN agencies, governments, civil society and donors and engage in advocacy and representation on behalf of the RD and CDs and be prepared to act as a spokesperson as needed. Communicate the programme impact and significant developments within and outside of the region and seek and identify opportunities for communication, results and lessons sharing, and reinvestment in knowledge and learning
- Work proactively with the CDs and regional platform to ensure programme growth and/or durability / renewal both at regional and country levels through the creation of a pipeline of high quality proposals, supporting the marketing and funding processes, and also contributing to shaping the Business Development side of donor and allies’ relationship management
- Work with the Regional Leadership Team and regional governance structures, the regional platform, Executing and Partner Affiliates, Country Governance structures, and the Oxfam International Secretariat to provide support to countries as requested by CDs and the RD
Behavioural competencies (based on Oxfam’s Leadership Model)