Oxfam is committed to ridding the world of poverty and injustice. We have a conviction that people are capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own, once given the chance to do so. Which is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve citizens in our work. We work together with other Oxfam affiliates to increase our impact on development and humanitarian work.
Oxfam’s vision for Tunisia is that citizens, especially women and youth, are active to reduce gender and socio-economic inequalities in a framework of rule of law and an accountable state. The strategy focuses on gender justice, governance of socio-economic policies and civil society space.
Oxfam is looking for a Media and Communications Advisor
Type of contract: Fixed term contract
Contract Duration: One year (renewable depending on staff performance and project funding)
Working hours: Full time (40hours/week)
Location: Based in Tunis
Salary & Conditions: According to Oxfam Salary scale and HR policy and conditions in Tunisia.
Reporting line: Tunisia Country Director
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Objectives of the position
Lead, coordinate and manage all of Oxfam’s media and communication work related to Tunisia, in line with the Oxfam country strategy for 2015-2019, and in close coordination with the program and influencing staff, including policy and campaigns.
Main tasks of the position
Media & Communications (60%)
- Lead the design and implementation of Oxfam’s media and communications strategy for Tunisia, in close coordination with advocacy and program objectives at national, regional, and global levels
- Provide creative insight to identify and seize viable media angles and opportunities
- Proactively engage quality media to raise the profile of Oxfam in Tunisia, maintain and expand existing media relationships and journalist contact databases
- Advise Country Director and relevant senior management team on media and communications
- In close coordination with the program team, support the development of their communications strategy, narrative, talking points, and collateral material
- In close coordination with the Influencing staff , provide the necessary media and communications support, including the use of digital media technology, for Oxfam’s advocacy and campaigning work and scale up the country’s program ambitions in this area
- In close coordination with the Business Development and Funding Coordinator and the Program Manager, contribute to promoting Oxfam in Tunisia’s business development through media and communication products and actions aimed at key stakeholders, including donors
- Write press releases, statements, stories, and other media/communications material for public use
- Steer and coordinate sign off of media and communications products
- Manage Oxfam’s social media activities related to Tunisia, including managing risk, sign-off, and other associated protocols
- Serve as Oxfam spokesperson in Tunisia
- Contribute to contingency and emergency planning and, if necessary, lead and coordinate global efforts at peak times
Brand and program security (15%)
- Socialize Oxfam values and branding policy, and ensure donor proposals and program activities are aligned with these policies
- Anticipate and manage potential brand risks
- Liaise with program staff and affiliates to ensure proper risk management
Cooperation with Oxfam partners (15%)
- Lead on strengthening, via capacity building and information sharing, the ability of partners to deliver high impact media and campaigns work.
- Contribute to program teams’ efforts to support Oxfam partner organizations in their media and communications work
Results management (10%)
- Manage, support, and coordinate media/communications efforts (including management of staff or consultants with a communications mandate
- Keep relevant staff—in-country and internationally—updated on latest relevant developments
- Monitor and make accessible the results and impact of Oxfam’s media and communications work in Tunisia