Oxfam is committed to ridding the world of poverty and injustice. We have a conviction that people are capable of building a livelihood without poverty on their own, once given the chance to do so. Which is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to take into account the interests of the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve citizens in our work. We work together with other Oxfam affiliates to increase our impact on development and humanitarian work.
Oxfam’s vision for Egypt is that citizens, especially women and youth, are active to reduce gender and socio-economic inequalities in a framework of rule of law and an accountable state. The strategy focuses on gender justice, governance of socio-economic policies and civil society space.
Oxfam is looking for An Influencing Coordinator
Objectives of the position
Lead, coordinate and manage the development and implementation of all of Oxfam’s Influencing work at country level, in collaboration with Oxfam staff and partners, and in line with the Worldwide Influencing Network (WIN) transformational goals, the WIN National Influencing Standards and the vision for 2020 programmes. This includes policy, advocacy and campaign.
- Type of contract: Fixed term contract
- Contract Duration: One year (renewable depending on staff performance and project funding)
- Working hours: Full time (40hours/week)
- Location: Based in Tunis
- Salary & Conditions: According to Oxfam Salary scale and Oxfam HR policy and conditions in Tunisia.
- Reporting line: Egypt Country Director
- Staff reporting to this post: none
- Starting date: 1st April 2017
Main tasks of the position
Advocacy and campaigning – 35%
- Lead the development and implementation of Oxfam’s influencing strategy for Egypt, in line with advocacy and program objectives at national, regional, and global levels
- Actively guide and work with staff and partners in relation to the development of Oxfam policy, advocacy and campaign work, identifying key issues and opportunities for country influencing engagement that add value to the achievement of the program goals in country.
- In line with country ambitions to engage with campaign initiatives, ensure the development and implementation of advocacy and campaigns at the country level, alliance building and sharing of information, ensuring linkages and act as focal point with all relevant stakeholders at regional and global levels.
- Mobilise relevant global advocacy and campaign resources – money and people – in support for national and influencing strategies in a timely fashion
Development of Influential Programmes and support to the team and programs – 35%
- Support the program team in ensuring WIN is embedded in all programs, through the design of advocacy strategies for programs/projects, quality checks, capacity building if needed. Contribute to funding proposals to ensure they all have a strong influencing component.
- Support country leadership and program team to develop appropriate ways of working that will ensure that they are externally focused and tuned to developments within their context ensuring the development of appropriate behaviours for influencing.
- Ensure that the WIN standards are well embedded in the country strategy and operating model and regularly review compliance to such standards.
- Guide and provide high level technical advice and support the country team in developing influencing programmes, developing a wide range of influencing strategies that include linking country-level goals to regional and global-level advocacy and campaigning opportunities, resourcing strategies, effective networks, partnerships with multiple stakeholders for the effective delivery of influencing work that facilitate the change.
- Support country teams on power analysis, evidence based advocacy, public campaigning, effective messaging, risk assessment and ensuring the creation of clear and accessible tools and resources for teams to maximize their program impact through WIN
- Support the program team to identify critical influencing, campaigning, advocacy and policy capacity gaps in country level long-term development and humanitarian programming, and ensure the building of such capacities.
- In collaboration with the Media and Communications advisor at country, explore the use of media digital technology in our campaigning and programmes, supporting countries to scale up their ambitions in this area, also linking with the regional level.
- Ensure adequate resourcing is allocated within budgets to scale up influencing at national and regional level and support initiatives for resource mobilisation.
- Strengthen the relevance, legitimacy and downward accountability of our global influencing initiatives
- Forge meaningful links between local to regional and global, as well as south-south
- Support the CD in external representation and engagement as required.
Cooperation with Oxfam partners – 15%
- Lead on strengthening, via capacity building and information sharing, the ability of partners to deliver high impact influencing programs, supporting or facilitating support for their advocacy and influencing work
- Facilitate program teams’ efforts to support Oxfam partner organizations in their influencing work
Policy, brand and risk management – 15%
- Proactively gather and analyze information on the changing local and global context, managing highly complex and diverse public policy issues. Produce analytical reports on relevant political and economic developments. Analyze their impact on Oxfam’s program, partners and allies, keep relevant staff—in-country and internationally—updated on latest relevant developments, and ensure that the country’s ideas and approaches include the latest thinking.
- Advise the Country Director and relevant (senior) program staff on policy issues and positioning related to Oxfam’s work in country, including brand and risk management.
- Contribute to preparation and follow up of research products for the country programs
- Develop policy briefs as needed and facilitate the development of quality policy papers.
- Steer and coordinate the sign off of all policy and advocacy products