Programme Officer – Constitution Building – Tunis
The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
The WANA programme was launched in 2011 after the revolutions that swept many countries in the region. Since that time, 10 countries in the region have amended, replaced or reconsidered their constitutional frameworks. In these countries, some progress has been made in the struggle for democratization, however significant challenges remain. International IDEA continues to support constitution building across the region through the provision of support to constituent assemblies, members of the legal community, academics and others.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the implementation of national constitution building activities in Tunisia;
- Assists in the implementation of assistance to the Arab Association of Constitutional Law;
- Assists with the implementation of projects relating to constitution building in other regional and country specific projectssuch as Lebanon, Egypt and Yemen;
- Assists in the preparation and finalization of reports and publications relating to constitution building;
- Contributes to the Arabic version of ConstitutionNet and to the Arab Association’s website;
- Remains informed on latest developments relating to the implementation of the 2014 constitution; Draft reports and articles on latest developments in Tunisia;
- Maintains links with Tunisian stakeholders;
- Facilitates the development and implementation of conferences and/or workshops (including drafting the agenda, identifying participants, assisting with basic logistics and report writing;
- Provides support to the regular monitoring and impact assessment of project activities;
- Collaborates with the Constitution Building Processes team in Global Programme and other regional and global programmes as necessary;
- Contributes to the development of quarterly and annual reports by the AWA programme, as well such other activity reports as needed.
- Requires in-depth knowledge, excellent skills and relevant experience in the field of constitution building; A strong interest in constitutional law generally, and in constitutional developments in WANA, particularly since January 2011;
- Will contribute significantly to assigned projects all along the project life cycle, i.e. from project design and funding to project assessment; will lead meetings and discussions, supervise publications and review input from external providers;
- Has contributed to publications on the relevant subject; is recognized as a knowledge resource in his/her broad professional community;
- Can work with minimal guidance and supervision;
- Adds value to team-based activities in his/her unit; collaborates with other entities of the Institute;
- Acts as a model or mentor for less experienced colleagues;
- Can be expected to travel globally to any geographical area involved in his/her projects;
- Follows internal procedures to ensure high standards of performance and compliance with Institutional guidelines;
- Integrates a gender and diversity perspective in all activities.
Has in-depth knowledge in constitution building processes and a good understanding of related disciplines. Is able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
Operational Knowledge, skills and experience
- Integrates a results-based approach into the design, management and evaluation of all his/her programmatic activities;
- Has a good understanding of relevant constitution building issues in West Asia and North Africa with demonstrated field experience in the region;
- Contributes to the research of information on donors and partners, preparation of reports and project briefs, identification of opportunities for initiation of new projects, and all other activities related to resource mobilization and partnership building;
- Illustrates integrity, a collaborative spirit, a sense of achievement, and an understanding of risk management in past experiences.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Terms of Contract
Local Post. One (1) year fixed-term appointment.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Tunisia.