The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance — International IDEA is an intergovernmental organization that supports sustainable democracy worldwide. International IDEA’s mission is to support sustainable democratic change by providing comparative knowledge, and assisting in democratic reform, and influencing policies and politics.
International IDEA acts as a catalyst for democracy building; by providing knowledge resources, policy proposals and supporting democratic reforms in response to specific national requests. It works together with policy makers, governments, UN organizations and agencies and regional organizations engaged in the field of democracy building.
International IDEA develops, shares and enables the use of comparative knowledge in its key areas of expertise: electoral processes,constitution building,political participation and representation, democracy and development and democracy assessments.
It also addresses the important issues of gender, diversity, and conflict and security as they relate to democracy.
International IDEA is based in Stockholm, Sweden, and works worldwide through offices in New York, Brussels, The Hague, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
International IDEA’s Tunisia programme aims to support the country’s democratic transition through support to electoral processes, constitution building processes and political participation and representation processes. The Institute has created a strong relationship with many national actors, including the Election Management Body (EMB’s), through the provision of direct technical support, peer-to-peer learning and capacity development across the electoral cycle. The programme also works across West Asia and North Africa with support also provided to programmes managed by the regional office in Addis Ababa.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supports the design and implementation of within the Electoral Processes project;
- Provides capacity development on electoral planning, management design, operations, money in politics;
- Provides technical and advisory support to the EMB in the organization and conduct of national and municipal elections in Tunisia;
- Supports the implementation of the Electoral Risk Management Tool (ERMT) in EMBs across the AWA region;
- Conducts workshops and consultative meetings for target audiences as a form of dissemination and application of International IDEA’s knowledge resources;
- Identifies new areas of engagement and programming in electoral processes in Tunisia and across the region more widely through engaged discussions with EMBs and national partners;
- Advises the AWA team on matters related to electoral developments across the region;
- Provides support to all activities under the electoral processes portfolio by proposing and conducting relevant research and analysis;
- Represents the AWA Programme at thematic conferences and events across the region and through collaboration with peer organizations;
- Provides inputs towards planning and budgeting within a Results Based Management framework;
- Has in-depth knowledge in own discipline and good understanding of related disciplines to be able to approach programmatic issues in a holistic manner.
- No people management responsibility over permanent staff;
- Acts as a model and resource for more junior colleagues;
- May assume project management responsibilities.
- Identifies and resolves complex problems; approaches issues with new perspectives; analyses situations from a multitude of intervening factors.
- Has a clear impact on the programme development and delivery;
- Can also impact other teams and projects in related fields.
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
- Liaises to all internal and external stakeholders involved in his/her project; acts and is perceived as an initiator of relevant communication to solve issues;
- Drives projects and assignments through communicative personal energy and engagement;
- Can explain sensitive information with diplomacy, and build consensus.
- Fluency in English, Arabic and French required.
Education and Experience
- University degree in political sciences, public policy/administration, international relations or similar; A law degree is advantageous;
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the field of electoral processes; Knowledge of the field of development co-operation more broadly; and democracy and election assistance more specifically; Experience with EMB’s or an organization dealing with national elections is advantageous;
- BRIDGE certification an advantage;
- Knowledge of Arc GIS an advantage.
Terms of Contract
Local Post. One (1) year fixed-term appointment.
Please note as this is a local post, International IDEA will bear no costs relating to relocation of the selected candidate to the duty station. This position is open to those legally authorized to live and work in Tunisia.